California State has declined the federal government request to provide 237 National Guard troops to two sectors near the Mexican border. “They will not perform those missions,” Robert Salesses, a deputy assistant secretary at the Defense Department, said.
Trump administration’s effort to send National Guard troops to the country’s southern border with Mexico is not getting support from the California National Guard although “the talks are continuing with,” added Salesses.
President Trump and Defense Secretary James Mattis authorized up to 4,000 National Guard personnel weeks ago to help the Department of Homeland Security secure the border in four southwestern U.S. states.
Trump has been unable to get the U.S. Congress or Mexico to fund his proposed wall along the border. National Guard troops will not construct any sections of a proposed border wall, officials said Monday.
California National Guard spokesman said, “State officials have not rejected anything” since the Governor Jerry Brown responded last week with a proposed agreement. The next step is for the federal government to respond by signing the Memorandum of Agreement,” concluded the Lieutenant Colonel Tom Keegan.
“Jerry Brown shares our interest in securing our southern border. DHS and our federal partners are committed to working with the governor to mobilize the California National Guard to assist DHS’s frontline personnel in our vital missions.” said Tyler Houlton, a spokesman for Homeland Security
California may be willing to take part in other missions but Brown had determined that some tasks sought for assistance were “unsupportable” stated on Monday acting deputy commissioner at U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.
National Guard troops are not taking part in direct border security and are not performing law enforcement work.
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto has sharply rebuked Trump over the plan.
Reporting by David Shepardson